DIR Release Additional Guidance on COVID Supplemental Paid Sick Leave
Department of Industrial Relations Releases additional guidance on COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave for Employers
All employees working for employers with 26 or more employees are entitled to up to 80 hours of 2022 COVID-19 related paid sick leave from January 1, 2022, through September 30, 2022, immediately upon an oral or written request with up to 40 of those hours available only when an employee or family member tests positive for COVID-19.
- A full-time covered employee may take up to 40 hours of leave if the employee is unable to work or telework for any of the following reasons:
- Vaccine-Related: The covered employee is attending a vaccine or booster appointment for themselves or a family member or cannot work or telework because they have vaccine—related symptoms or are caring for a family member with vaccine-related symptoms.
- Caring for Yourself: The employee is subject to quarantine or isolation period related to COVID-19 as defined by an order or guidance of the California Department of Public Health, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or a local public health officer with jurisdiction over the workplace; has been advised by a healthcare provider to quarantine; or is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis.
- Caring for a Family Member: The covered employee is caring for a family member who is subject to a COVID-19 quarantine or isolation period or has been advised by a healthcare provider to quarantine due to COVID-19 or is caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed or unavailable due to COVID-19 on the premises.
- A full-time covered employee may take up to an additional 40 hours of leave if the employee is unable to work or telework for either of the following reasons:
- The covered employee tests positive for COVID-19.
- The covered employee is caring for a family member (child, parent, spouse, registered domestic partner, grandparent, grandchild or sibling) who tested positive for COVID-19.
- Part-time covered employees may take as leave up to the number of hours they work over two weeks, with half of those hours available only when they or a family member test positive for COVID-19.
Download the updated 2022 COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave Posters:
For further information, questions, or assistance, please contact our firm.